Aurora Plastics is currently seeking an individual to join our R&D team in a Lab Technician role. The individual in this role performs lab work in support projects for R&D, technical service, investigation of customer non-conformances, and provides documentation support for quality assurance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Implementation of safety policies and keep the work environment safe – Aurora’s #1 priority
- Collect data, maintain records, and make basic routine calculations on the acquired data
- Provide accurate and timely summaries of experiments performed including data compilation, machine settings, process parameters and recipe contents
- Weigh and dry blend and pelletize test formulas as required on lab and pilot scale mixers
- Test processing properties of formulas on lab torque rheometers and lab scale extruder
- Routine sample preparation via two roll mill, press plaque, and CNC for preparation of test parts for physical testing
- Routine physical testing includes tensile, flexural, notched and drop dart impact
- Routine accelerated weathering tests in UV chamber
- Color measurement in support of color matching and UV testing
- Testing of surface characteristics of extruded test parts such as gloss and color
- Flow measurement via melt flow index and capillary rheometer
- Document, distribute and maintain C of A’s for finished materials
- Coordination of sample shipments for customer evaluations
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Associate’s degree in science or related field is required with a Bachelor’s degree preferred.
A minimum 3-5 years of experience in plastics and/or coloring of plastics, which includes sample preparation, process testing and process testing is required.
Proficiency with Microsoft Office products – Outlook, Excel, and Word.
The right candidate will be a self-starter with high energy and enthusiasm, have strong attention to detail and problem solving, and have strong written and verbal communication skills. The candidate must have skills suitable for collaboration in cross functional teams.
This position also provides future opportunities for growth into other professional Aurora Plastics roles in Technical Service and R&D, among others.
Our organization offers a competitive compensation and benefit plan, including bonus incentive, medical/dental and life insurance plans, and profit sharing.